Affinity Dental Care is pleased to welcome our new hygienists, Gini and Judy, to the oral hygiene team! Both are registered members with the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario (CDHO) with many years of experience. They have excellent interpersonal communication skills, a strong professional work ethic and deep empathy.
Gini graduated from the hygiene program at Niagara College. She is a certified dental hygienist registered with the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario. An outstanding and caring hygienist, she has worked alongside Dr. Wong at Martindale Dental in Burlington on James and Martha Street. Gini treats each patient like a friend, and has maintained patient relationships even after her maternity leave. Personal fulfillment comes from providing a valuable health care service while establishing trusting relationships with patients.
Judy graduated from the hygiene program at the Canadian Institute of Dental Hygiene – Hamilton. Before she became a registered dental hygienist, she was a certified dental assistant who graduated from Fanshawe College in London. She loves working with patients and seeing them with improved oral health.
Both of them work with Dr. Wong and the team to meet oral health needs. Because of their training and qualifications, both can effectively perform the following services:
- Patient screening procedures and examination for signs of disease and decay
- Assessment of oral health conditions, reviews of health history, oral cancer screenings, head and neck inspections, dental charting, blood pressure and pulse
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays) as needed
- Gums, teeth and mouth cleaning for the removal of calculus and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the tooth
- Applying preventive materials to the teeth (e.g., sealants, fluorides or nano-hydroxyapatite as alternatives to fluoride)
- Providing preventative treatments and education, teaching patients how to keep plaque from building up on their teeth, teaching patients
appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Counseling patients about good nutrition and its impact on oral health
- Making impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth used by dentists to evaluate patient treatment needs) and doing scanning with the state-of-the-art 3shape oral scanner
- Performing documentation and office management activities
- Updating patient records
- Ensuring tools and workspaces are clean and maintained
- Assisting in sterilization of dental instruments
Our oral hygiene program forms an intricate part of our wellness-based approach to patient’s oral health. Prevention and early detection of diseases are the mandate, and will make sure to keep you and your family’s smiles beaming.